Sheila plein air painting
About me and my art...
I grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan and from a very early age always had crayons or pencils in my hands. I was lucky enough to have an artistic mother who introduced me to oil pastels and oil paints when I was ten. Surrounded by original art, I was inspired to create! Later, I went on to study computer science and geography, and I continued to draw and paint when I was not travelling for work, in the computer graphics field. During this time, I also took a year sabbatical and cycled across Canada, Southern Africa and parts of Europe and Britian. My love for travel, culture, and nature has been a tremendous influence on my artwork.
While primarily self-taught, I studied one year of art and design at Kwantlen University College, in Surrey, BC. Since moving to the Okanagan, I have had the opportunity to take many workshops from professional artists. I currently work in acrylics and oils and I also teaching painting and drawing to new and experienced artists of all ages. Look for me with my plein air box painting outside or anywhere with a sketchbook and camera, recording and observing inspiration in everyday things.
- 1986 Bachelor of Science Advanced in Computer Science, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
- 1997-1999, Kwantlen University College, Fine Art Diploma classes, Dean’s Honour Roll.
- Various painting and drawing classes with professional artists
- 2014 to present, Web Technologies Certificate Program, British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT), Online Program
- Various online Graphic Design and publishing courses in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator)
Recent Exhibitions and Events
- Public Art Installation - Permanent, District of Lake Country, BC - Bike Images used to beautify local Bike Lockers, April 2016
- FCA Plein Air Juried Members Show, FCA Vancouver Gallery, May 10-22, 2016
- Peachland Art Gallery Juried Show - Our Valley, January-February 2016
- Peachland Art Gallery Artists in Studio August 10, 17 and 24, 2015, Peachland, BC Juried
- Society of Canadian Visual Arts (SCVA) Juried Exhibition, Peachland Art Gallery, Peachland, BC, July 2015
- Frayed and Feathered Open Studio Tour, May 30-31, 2016
- Lake Country Art Gallery Under 100 Juried Show and Sale - November to December 2010-2015
- Artwalk 2011-2014 Lake Country, BC Juried Exhibition and Sale
- Lake Country Art Gallery Annual Juried Members Show 2011, 2012, 2014, Juror for 2015, 2016
- Central Okanagan FCA Juried Autumn Gallery Show, Kelowna, November 2014
- Central Okanagan FCA OASIS 2014 Juried Exhibition, Rotary Centre for the Arts, Kelowna, May 2014
- Lake Country Coffee House Solo Exhibition Sepetember-August 2013
- Okanagan Regional Library, Lake Country Branch, Solo Exhibits 2011, 2013
- Federation of Canadian Artists - Active Member 2010-present
- Federation of Canadian Artists Central Okanagan Chapter- Executive Member, Treasurer, September 2012 - January 2015
- Lake Country Art Gallery Member and Volunteer 2010 to present
- Peachland Artr Gallery, 2015-present
My intention with my art is to create a colourful story, using expressive painting strokes to make a connection with the viewer, perhaps a connection to something deep within them. I paint primarily “alla prima” or “all at once”, painting the sense and feeling of a moment, whether from life or from a photo. I enjoy painting subjects of any kind, but try to capture and interpret the colour and light of that subject.